Saturday, May 22

I Miss American Food!

I've been having trouble eating the food here. First off, I don't get lunch which sucks because that means I have to wait 10 hours between meals. The kids get lunch, but not the volunteers which I don't understand. I often get yam (like a dense but spongy potato) and fish sauce. It makes me gag a little, but since it's all there is to eat and since I don't want to offend my host family I eat it anyway. I went to the market with Miracle for the first time. I saw the fish they buy. The fish are in piles on a table sitting in the sun while flies swarm all over them. Teaching is going okay. I've tried to use some different teaching methods, but the children are so used to not having to think they don't even try. I tried having the kids do group work but they just looked at me like I'm crazy. The children's English is so bad. Even grade 6 can barely speak it even after having 6 years of English classes. No one can write an original sentence. They can only repeat things. It is a lot of work for me to teach. It's more like charades and pictionary. In grade 4 I spent the whole hour teaching them the meaning of 4 words. I spent ten minutes going over each word. I reviewed each word a few times as well. Then I gave them an exercise where the children had to match the word with the definition. I basically told them the answers before letting them complete the exercise. Somehow most of the children got 2's out of 4. I don't understand it.
My English is getting worse here. The children learn British English, so I have to teach with a British accent or else one of the teachers corrects my pronunciation. I also hear bad Ghanian English and Katja's English with a German accent. The way I talk now has turned into a conglomeration of all these accents. I have no idea how that happened, lol.
The children in school have been teaching me Twi. It's very fun and they clap and cheer whenever I learn a new word :)
Tomorrow I get to go to the internet in Kumasi with Nana. He wants me to type profiles of all the children for a website he's making. I'll get to email people!!!

The kids having lunch - avocados right off the tree!
The school next to the orphanage - is closed down due to lack of funding.
Vivian on her way home from school, talking to friends coming back from their farms.

The market in Sekyere


A not so yummy selection of sea food


Something a little more fresh...


A woman selling food at the market


Yam and cassava with fish sauce/goo :)

Katja "enjoying" her dinner. She didn't like this picture, but I think it's great!

The house kitties - Simba and Sonja

No comments: