Friday, May 23

Out and About

At the internet "cafe" (it's not really a cafe. it's a room with a bunch of computers) the power went out. I had to wait 2 hours to get back online and finish writing the profiles. Taking a taxi here was interesting. Here there are single and shared taxis. The shared taxis are cheaper, but you share the taxi with a lot of people. In a car the size of a corolla there are two people in the passenger seat and four people in the back seat.
Walking through Sekyere is also very interesting. Me and Katja are the only white people here for miles. White people are fascinating to Ghanian people, especially in the small town of Sekyere. They all want to meet you and know your name. They want to touch your skin and ask to be your friend. They always call out "Obrunni, obrunni!" (white person, white person!) to get your attention. The little children sing a song out to me ""Obrunni, Obibibi!" which means "White person, black person!"). They follow me around waving their little hands singing as they run. It's like being a celebrity or something. I barely stop waving my hand all the way to school everyday. A lot of people I've never met know my name as well. It's all very odd.

When I got back from Oyoko (where the internet is) Miracle came into my room and saw my bible. She asked me to read to her. I asked what she wanted to hear. She didn't know the story of Adam and Eve, so I started at the beginning. I had an extra bible with me that I gave to her. She was ecstatic. She loves it.
After their bath today, I read the kids the Jungle Book story. I had them draw the characters from the story and they were very confused. They don't know how to draw! Miracle kept trying to interrupt me to help her with homework. I told her I'd help her after coloring, and she was very mad.
Katja leaves tomorrow to travel to Cape Coast. I hope I can handle everything at the orphanage on my own. I've missed home a lot this week. I love being here, but thinking about home makes me sad. So, I try to not think of all you people in America (sorry :) )
A Ghanian taxi

No comments: